Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Fair Bag Lady

This year for Hallowe'en, I've made my costume almost entirely out of plastic bags. I made "plarn" and crocheted a dress and hat. I fashioned the dress after the Ascot Dress worn by Audrey Hepburn in "My Fair Lady". Of course, there's no way my figure could possibly compare with Audrey Hepburn's, so I modified the dress to suit my shape. Here is the finished result.
I am still in the process of re-doing a parasol with plastic from some bags as the finishing touch.
But for now, here's just the dress.


And a special Thank You to my husband for taking such flattering photos!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

A wonderful costume! Exquisite hat! Bravo! . I also knit from plastic bags, handbags, hats, shoes, flowers. My name is Svetlana. My photo albums https://picasaweb.google.com/102724183151740773728/MyBagsCrochetFromPlasticBag , https://picasaweb.google.com/102724183151740773728/MyHatsCrochetFromPlasticBag , https://picasaweb.google.com/102724183151740773728/CrochetFromPlasticBag02

Suzanne Dargie said...

I took a look! Beaufiful! I really like the diamond shaped pattern!

Unknown said...

I wrote in my journal about your outfit here http://www.liveinternet.ru/users/svetavishenka/post199915958/ . Now, your creativity will be introduced in Russia.

Unknown said...

I'm waiting for promised you a parasol to the suit.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the dress!!!! would you like to share the pattern with me? And thanks for visiting my website recycledcrochet.webs.com! LOVE your work! Teresa

Suzanne Dargie said...

Oh sorry! I haven't read my comments in a while! There is no pattern...it's sort of free form.....it's almost entirely single crochet stitches and doubles. The skirt part is separate and there's actually a zipper sewn in the back. I made the skirt in 3 sections and then joined them down the two sides and down the middle of the back...where the zipper is. The jacket part was made from 5 pieces.....two front sides, a back and the two sleeves. Kind of like a regular sewn jacket would be pieced, but I "made" the fabric with crochet....then attached them...you know...like how you'd attach squares when making an afghan.