Thursday, October 1, 2009

Faux Verdigris Patina Technique

I am including this image of a resin gargoyle statue just to show the colour of mine when I began. I didn't start photographing mine until I decided to do a patina...I originally painted it black....like iron...but then I changed my mind.I mixed gold craft acrylic with a small amount of dark brown and painted the whole statue. I allowed it to dry overnight.

I then took a forest green acrylic and applied that with a rag, buffing the colour onto the gold colour so it still showed through.

The next stage really makes it look great. I mixed a tiny drop of green and a bit of navy blue with white. I tried to achieve a milky turquoise and then I watered it down a bit. I painted it onto the statue a small area at a time making sure it got into all the cracks and crevices. Quickly I would wipe off the excess with a clean rag leaving it mostly in the crevices.

For the final step I watered down the turquoise even more and allowed it to run down the statue, blotting up the excess where I had applied it, but not the drips. Leaving the drips makes it look as though it has been out in the rain and weather.

And there you are. A fake bronze statue. This is more for indoor use...or just to be put out as a decoration on Hallowe'en. If you wanted to keep it outside in your garden you'd have to coat it with an acrylic sealer .....probably satin finish. I'm not going to bother with mine for now.