Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Grizelda Cook Book


This thing was fun to make! I took an old hardcover sketchbook that my husband had lying around...which had only had a couple pages used from it and they had been torn out....I guess he didn't like the paper..... and I made it into the prop that will be accompanying my costume this year.

I looked up some of the weirdest sounding recipes I could find and copied them out with a calligraphy marker, then "weathered" the book with tea stains, Port stains, beet juice, cinnamon, paprika...even some Ovaltine powder.

They're all real recipes......nothing silly or made up....except for the Larks' Tongues in Aspic....but I wrote it so you could really make it if you wanted to.

The best thing that came of this though, is that I learned from my Birth Aunt about a book called Larousse Gastronomique and I got my hands on a copy of it from a used book store. WOW!!! What a great book! I copied recipes from it into my book as well, and information about hanging meat etc.
Anyway....I'll post photos of my costume after October the 29th...because that's when I'll be wearing it to a Hallowe'en Party!

No comments: