Sunday, December 21, 2008

Cake and Bread

Because I am currently following the blog "Cake Wrecks", which is linked in my sidebar, I've been thinking about cakes! I used to do a lot of birthday cakes for people, but I haven't done one in quite a few years. So for my daughter's birthday and my fiancee's birthday (which are only two days apart), I decided to make them this cake. It was Devil's Food on the inside.....(I used a mix)....and homemade butter icing on the outside. I melted some baking chocolate into a portion of the icing to make chocolate icing and reserved some to be coloured for the decorations. Man, butter-cream icing does NOT lend itself well to little details. Maybe it was just because I'm out of practice, but this is as good as I could get after a long day at work and then coming home in a snowstorm......but enough about that. My daughter is a big fan of Sonic the Hedgehog, so I drew his face on the cake. Richard is NOT a fan of Sonic. He wasn't really thrilled with having him on his Birthday cake....

I showed him this picture from an old 1990 Wilton Cake Decorating book, and said, "Well, I could always do THIS!"
I think it's a pretty morbid idea, really. Rich actually didn't mind the Sonic face TOO much and the cake tasted good....so that's what REALLY matters.
But one very interesting thing happened during dinner. My daughter found a big air-bubble in her roll shaped like a Valentine Heart! She wanted to eat it, but my son and I stole it from her until we could grab a photo of it. Then it got gobbled up!

1 comment:

el pancake said...

baking is always fun..but they go so quickly when done