Saturday, September 1, 2007

Last Year's Costumes

Here are last year's costumes. I took a shortcut, and used store bought costumes and embellished them. My son was "The Grim Reaper" and my daughter was a Mermaid. The Reaper was a cheap, black nylon robe and dollar store plastic scythe, with strips of leather fringe tied near the top. I did his make-up with just a black eyeliner pencil and white face make-up.
The Mermaid was a "Barbie" mermaid dress which I ripped the badly made sleeves off ( she couldn't get her arms into them), and replaced with pink bra straps. I also sewed some applique sea shells and fish onto the front and embellished a blue wig with cowrie shells, fake pearls and beads. I bought the tiara in Chinatown. I don't know why my daughter insisted on carrying a "magic wand"...but whatever. Little girls love magic wands. I also put some lipstick and eye shadow on her of my own. She insisted that "Mermaids always wear lipstick!"
Oh well, that's it for this post!

No comments: